Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 broccoli head, florets torn off
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup (35 g) plain flour
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1½ cups (375 ml) milk of choice
- 2 cups (240 g) grated cheddar
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 generous pinch sea salt
- 1 generous pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Steam broccoli florets until just tender.
- Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring often, for 2–3 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the flour and mustard and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until the sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat to medium–low and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the cheese until melted and season with parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add the broccoli and stir to combine.
- Place the puff pastry over the pan and trim the pastry around the edges, leaving a 1-cm overhang. Pierce the centre of the pastry lid to let steam escape.
- Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Cool slightly.
Hate broccoli? Grab a bag of spinach instead and throw it into the sauce to make sure you get your daily greens.
Food Hacker by Rosie Mansfield, published by Penguin Random House on 2 July 2018, RRP $29.99
How helpful was this article?
Click on a star to rate it!
0 / 5. 0
Be the first to rate this post!
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!