Try this Moroccan-inspired vegetarian tagine recipe filled with chickpeas and mixed vegetables by Jamie Oliver. This wonderful veg tagine is filled with saffron, preserved lemons, apricots, fluffy couscous and toasted almonds.
Cooking time: 1 hour
Related: Jamie Oliver’s easiest broccoli quiche
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4-cm piece of ginger
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 2.5kg mixed veg, such as eggplant, zucchini, carrots, cherry tomatoes, red onion, butternut pumpkin, mixed-colour capsicums
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
- 100g dried apricots
- 1 preserved lemon
- 300g couscous
- ½ a bunch of mixed fresh herbs, such as dill, mint, flat-leaf parsley (15g)
- 20g flaked almonds
- Put the saffron into a jug, cover with 500ml of boiling water and leave to infuse.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely slice the garlic and ginger, then place in a large casserole pan over a medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil, the cumin, cinnamon and ras el hanout. Add the tomato paste, fry for a few minutes, stirring regularly, then pour over the saffron water.
- Trim and prep the veg, as necessary, then chop into large chunks, adding them to the pan as you go.
- Tip in the chickpeas (juices and all), roughly chop and add the apricots and preserved lemon, discarding any pips, then season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- When the veg are almost tender, just cover the couscous with boiling water, season with salt and pepper and pop a plate on top. Leave for 10 minutes, then fluff and fork up.
- Pick the herb leaves and toast the almonds.
- Serve the tagine and couscous sprinkled with the almonds and herbs. Delicious served with harissa rippled yoghurt.
This is an extract from Veg by Jamie Oliver. Published by Penguin Random House Australia, RRP $49.99.
Jamie Oliver's TV and publishing career began in 1999 with The Naked Chef series. Since then he has set up Fifteen restaurant in London, changed school dinners in the UK and revolutionised home cooking. Jamieoliver.com.
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!