These zesty lemon friands are perfectly paired with the woody flavour of rosemary. This is a lovely and easy friand recipe that you’ll want in your repertoire for some time.
Perfectly sized as a sweet dessert to serve for friends over the holiday season. Add some festive deliciousness to your celebrations or as a personal touch to your gift-giving.
- Butter, for greasing
- ½ cup (75 g) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1¼ cups (150 g) icing sugar
- 1¼ cups (125 g) ground almonds
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Zest of 2 lemons, grated
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2 lemons
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 100 g white sugar
Want something different? No-bake Christmas fruit cake
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Butter the holes of a muffin tin and dust with flour.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and icing sugar into a bowl and mix in the ground almonds. In another bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff. Add to the dry ingredients along with the oil, honey and lemon zest and fold in gently. Fill the holes of the muffin tin about three-quarters full with the batter. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake the friands for 15–20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the syrup, wash the lemons under hot water. Pat dry, peel and slice the peel into fine strips. Juice the lemons. Rinse the rosemary sprigs and pat dry.
- Briefly blanch the lemon peel strips. Add the lemon peel, lemon juice, rosemary sprigs, sugar and ⅓ cup (80 ml) water to a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by half. Remove the rosemary sprigs.
- Remove the friands from the tin and set aside to cool a little on a wire rack. Drizzle the syrup, including the lemon zest, over the warm friands. Serve warm.
Images and text from Festive by Julia Stix and Eva Fischer, photography by Julia Stix. Murdoch Books RRP $24.99.
How helpful was this article?
Click on a star to rate it!
0 / 5. 0
Be the first to rate this post!
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!