This is one vegetarian slow cooker recipe that’s sure to become a family favourite.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 300 g sushi rice, rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts kept separate
- 4 tbsp white miso paste
- 50 g butter
- 400 g mixed Asian mushrooms, such as shiitake (stems discarded and caps sliced), shimeji and enoki
- 50 g baby spinach leaves
- toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the rice, garlic and the white parts of the spring onions and stir for 1 minute until the rice grains are well coated. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Whisk the miso paste with 750 ml of boiling water until dissolved, then pour into the slow cooker. Cook on high for 1¼ hours, stirring halfway through.
- Melt 20 g of the butter in the frying pan over medium–high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes until slightly softened. Tip the mushrooms into the slow cooker, along with 185 ml of boiling water. Stir well, then cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining butter and the spinach leaves, plus another 185 ml of boiling water if needed, and cook for 10–15 minutes until the spinach wilts and the rice is al dente. Check the seasoning.
- Scatter with the green parts of the spring onions and the toasted sesame seeds to serve.
Images and recipes from Slow Cooker Vegetarian by Katy Holder, Murdoch Books, RRP $29.99. Photography by Alan Benson.
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!