If you’re going vegetarian or simply want to eat less meat, this is a great meatless loaf recipe to try.
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 55 Minutes
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2½ tbsp ground flaxseed + 5 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tsp dried thyme
- 1½ tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- ¾ cup celery, diced
- 3½ cups mushrooms, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cooked potatoes, mashed
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs or rice crumbs
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or corn flour
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup walnuts, finely diced
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180–200°C.
- Mix the ground flaxseed and water together in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, parsley, rosemary, sage, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Sprinkle with salt. Sauté onion and celery for 4–5 minutes, until onions are slightly browned and celery is softened.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic, and sauté for 4–5 minutes, until the mushrooms release their liquid and cook down.
- Transfer everything into a large bowl. Add mashed potatoes, breadcrumbs, arrowroot powder, rice, rolled oats and walnuts, combining really well. Add more salt or pepper if necessary.
- Place mixture into lined loaf pan, pressing down firmly. Brush top of loaf with the glaze (save any leftover).
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, until heated through.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving with leftover glaze.
How helpful was this article?
Click on a star to rate it!
0 / 5. 0
Be the first to rate this post!
Gia runs her own catering business and is a community health presenter. She is often whipping up healthy, plant-based meals in the kitchen with her two sous-chefs (and children), Olive and Moses.
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!
My child has started swearing
2 days ago 4 min read
1 week ago 2 min read
Bindi Irwin’s miracle baby
3 weeks ago 5 min read