Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 55 Minutes
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2½ tbsp ground flaxseed + 5 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tsp dried thyme
- 1½ tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- ¾ cup celery, diced
- 3½ cups mushrooms, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cooked potatoes, mashed
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs or rice crumbs
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or corn flour
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup walnuts, finely diced
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180–200°C.
- Mix the ground flaxseed and water together in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, parsley, rosemary, sage, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Sprinkle with salt. Sauté onion and celery for 4–5 minutes, until onions are slightly browned and celery is softened.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic, and sauté for 4–5 minutes, until the mushrooms release their liquid and cook down.
- Transfer everything into a large bowl. Add mashed potatoes, breadcrumbs, arrowroot powder, rice, rolled oats and walnuts, combining really well. Add more salt or pepper if necessary.
- Place mixture into lined loaf pan, pressing down firmly. Brush top of loaf with the glaze (save any leftover).
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, until heated through.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving with leftover glaze.
Want new recipes direct to your inbox? Click here!
How helpful was this article?
Click on a star to rate it!
0 / 5. 0
Be the first to rate this post!
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!