They’re gooey, they’re decadent and they’re perfect for entertaining this holiday season. This mini chocolate lava cake recipe is full taste but minimal calories (unless you have more than one, that is).
Prep & Cook Time: 30 minutes
- ½ cup (120 g) butter
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 100 g milk chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1½ tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- About 50 g white chocolate
- Butter, for greasing
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 210°C. Butter six to eight small silicone baking moulds or ovenproof cups, about 8 cm in diameter. Dust the moulds with cocoa powder.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Meanwhile, break both types of chocolate into pieces. Take the saucepan off the heat. Add the chocolate to the melted, hot butter and stir to melt. Leave the mixture to cool.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla sugar for a few minutes until thick and foamy. Slowly stir in the cooled chocolate butter. Combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt and gently fold into the mixture. Divide the batter among the moulds to fill them about three-quarters full. Coarsely chop the white chocolate. Push a few pieces into the centre of each cake, ensuring that the white chocolate is completely covered with batter.
- Bake the cakes for 8–10 minutes, depending on the mould size. They should still be liquid in the centre. (If you want to be sure, bake a trial lava cake to check how long they take to cook to perfection.)
- Remove the lava cakes from the oven and leave to cool briefly. Invert onto serving plates and serve warm.
Images and text from Fairytale Baking by Christin Geweke. Photography by Yelda Yilmaz. Murdoch Books RRP $39.99
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!