Prep & Cook Time: 75 minutes
- 65 g banana flour
- 65 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 55 g jumbo oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- a pinch of salt
- 6 large eggs
- 70 ml olive oil
- 2 zucchinis, grated (340g prepped weight)
- ½ a large sweet potato, grated (130g prepped weight)
- 1 onion, diced
- 150 g mixed pre-sliced stir-fry vegetables (e.g. cabbage, carrot, mushroom, sprouts)
- 65 g tinned lentils, rinsed and drained
- 80 g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 40 g capers
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 tomato
- 50g feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan/gas mark 5
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (banana flour, spelt, oats, baking powder, paprika and salt).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and the olive oil with electric beaters until light and fluffy on top. Add in the vegetables (zucchinis, sweet potato, onion, mixed vegetables, lentils, chickpeas, capers and the feta). Fold in the dry mixture.
- Grease a flan tin (approx. 30-cm diameter), then pour in the mixture. If using, top with sliced tomato; dot with feta and sprinkle with mixed seeds and chilli flakes.
- Pop in the oven for 45–50 minutes, or until cooked through. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Banana flour is a great source of gut-loving resistant starch and is oh so tasty, but if you don’t have any, replace with 90g of plain flour.
- Imperfection is in, perfection is out. Plants produce phytochemicals in response to stress. This is thought to be why some “ugly” fruit and vegetables, which have been subject to more stress, contain more phytochemicals. This is a great recipe to use up any stressed or bruised vegetables.
Extracted, with permission, from Eat Yourself Healthy, by Dr Megan Rossi (Penguin Books, 2019).
How helpful was this article?
Click on a star to rate it!
0 / 5. 0
Be the first to rate this post!
Dr Megan Rossi
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!