Gigantes plaki, or Greek baked beans, is a classic Greek dish all about heart and warmth.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 75 minutes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 4 cans butter beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced).
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, tipping in onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until softened but not brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook for a further minute.
- Add dill, brown sugar and sea salt, simmer for 2–3 minutes, then stir in beans.
- Tip into a large ovenproof dish and bake uncovered and without stirring for approximately 1 hour, until the beans are tender.
- Allow to cool. Garnish with parsley and drizzle with olive oil to serve.
How helpful was this article?
Click on a star to rate it!
0 / 5. 0
Be the first to rate this post!
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!