Running out of savoury puff pastry ideas? This is one easy puff pastry recipe by Joe Wicks, aka The Body Coach, Britain’s favourite healthy cook and fitness sensation. The zucchini gives this puff pastry tart a healthy tick of approval while the lemon adds a zing.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- 3 zucchinis
- small bunch of basil
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 320g packet of ready-rolled puff pastry (remove it from the fridge 15 minutes before needed)
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 20g toasted pine nuts, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 240°C (220°C fan/gas mark 9) and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Using a speed peeler, peel the zucchinis into ribbons and place the ribbons in a large bowl. Finely shred half the basil leaves and add them to the zucchinis along with half the lemon zest, the crushed garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, some freshly ground black pepper and the olive oil. Toss everything together to evenly coat the zucchini.
- Unroll the pastry and place it on the lined baking tray. Using the point of a sharp knife, score a line 1 cm from the edge all the way round the outside of the pastry to form a frame. Prick the inside rectangle of pastry a couple of times with a fork, then spread the inside rectangle with the sundried tomato paste. Add the zucchinis, piling them on top and bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes, or until the zucchinis are tinged golden brown and the pastry is cooked through.
- While the pastry is cooking, mix the ricotta in a bowl with the remaining lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
- When the pastry is out of the oven, add blobs of the seasoned ricotta, scatter over the remaining basil leaves and sprinkle over the pine nuts to serve.
Joe’s Family Food by Joe Wicks, Published by Bluebird, RRP $44.99, Photography by Andrew Burton
Here are more dinner inspo!
Joe Wicks, aka The Body Coach, is Britain's favourite PE teacher and record-breaking bestselling author. He is a healthy cook and fitness sensation—and a national treasure. His lockdown smash-hit "PE With Joe" YouTube videos have been viewed 80 million times.
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!
My child has started swearing
3 days ago 4 min read
1 week ago 2 min read
Bindi Irwin’s miracle baby
3 weeks ago 5 min read