This no-bake snickers slice is an energy-dense little snack packed full of seeds and nuts that tastes amazing straight from the freezer.
Keeping your fridge and freezer well stocked with homemade snacks means little hands will reach for more nutritious items. This grab-and-go snack is perfect for active kids. Serve alongside some veggie sticks, fruit, cheese and wholegrain crackers to make a nutritious snack platter if you’re feeding a crowd. Hummus would be a great addition too.
If your kids love this slice you can always double the recipe and roll half the mixture into balls for a change of texture.
For dairy allergies, omit the chocolate chips and melted chocolate.
For nut allergies, try a mix of sunflower seeds or pepitas as a substitute for the crushed peanuts. Omit the nut butter or use seed butter or tahini as an alternative.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 10 minutes
- 15 pitted dates
- 1⁄4 cup (25 g) cacao or cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons pure peanut butter
- 1 cup (140 g) crushed peanuts, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1⁄4 cup (20 g) shredded coconut, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1⁄4 cup (30 g) linseed meal
- 1⁄4 cup (45 g) chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- 1⁄4 cup (35 g) chocolate melts, melted
- Line a 20 cm square cake tin with baking paper. Place the dates, cacao or cocoa, vanilla, maple syrup and peanut butter in a food processor and process until well combined. Add all of your chosen remaining ingredients (except the melts) and, using the pulse button, process until finely chopped and well combined, while leaving some texture.
- Press the mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle with extra crushed nuts and coconut. Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired. Alternatively, roll the mixture into walnut-sized balls.
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes or until firm. Cut into squares to serve. (Keep in an airtight container or a freezer-proof bag in the freezer for up to 2 months.)
This is an extract from The Family Meal Solution by Allie Gaunt, Jessica Beaton & Sarah Buckle. Published by Penguin Random House Australia, RRP $39.99.
How helpful was this article?
Click on a star to rate it!
0 / 5. 0
Be the first to rate this post!
Allie Gaunt & Jessica Beston
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!