This is the best egg salad you will ever eat. What makes it stand out from others is what I like to call the egg yolk dressing. This is made by separating the yolks from the whites and mixing them through mayonnaise and dijon mustard until smooth.
Egg salad is extremely quick to whip up and a great dish to have stored in the fridge to slowly eat throughout the week.
- 6 eggs
- iced water
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of sea salt flakes
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices of bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- snipped chives (optional)
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium so the water is slowly simmering. Carefully add the eggs and cook for 12 minutes, then place them in an ice bath for 10 minutes. This will prevent the eggs from cooking any further and allow them to cool slightly so they are easy to peel.
- Remove the eggs from the ice bath. Tap the bottom of an egg on a hard surface to break the shell. Remove a small piece of shell until the membrane is exposed. Insert your finger under the membrane and peel off the shell. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Cut the eggs in half and remove the yolks. Set aside. Roughly chop the egg whites and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the egg yolks, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper. Mash together with a fork until you have a smooth and creamy consistency. Place the egg whites in the bowl and gently fold them through with a spoon.
- Serve the egg salad on toast, with avocado slices and snipped chives, if desired.
Other recipes you may be interested in:
Extract from Garlic, Olive Oil + Everything Else by Daen Lia, published by Plum, RRP $29.99, photography by Armelle Habib.
Receive personalised articles from experts and wellness inspiration weekly!